Episode: “Fail Safe” [Season 1 Episode 5]
Air Date: Thursday, February 18th, 2016
Director: Dermott Downs
20 titles with lots of CW genre TV credits
3x Legends of Tomorrow | 2x Arrow | 2x The Originals | 4x The Flash | 3x Supergirl |
1x Blindspot | 1x CSI:Cyber | 1x iZombie | 1x Gotham | 4x The Tomorrow People
Writers: Beth Schwartz
Arrow: 23x executive story editor | 17x writer | 2x story editor | 23x Co-producer
2x LoT | 1x Heart of Dixie
Flash: 23x Exec. story editor | 5x writer | 8x Exec story editor | 1x Story by
3x Legends of Tomorrow | 1x Arrow (Teleplay) | 4x Tomorrow People
Rating: Episode 5 – 2.25
- Drop from the prior week of 2.39
- Arrow “Code of Silence” S.04 E.14 Directed by James “Bam Bam” Bamford that same week brought 2.44, which was the same as the prior week.
- The Flash “Escape from Earth-2” S.02 Ep.14 that same week brought 3.90, which was down 0.06 from the prior week.
- Supergirl “Truth, Justice and the American Way” S.01 Ep.14 that same week brought 7.25, down from 7.96 the prior week (the prior week was “for the girl who has everything, which was the adaptation of a classic Superman storyline, which may account for the huge numbers)
Episode # Episode Title Episode Air Date Rating
1 Pilot, Part 1 21-Jan-16 3.21
2 Pilot, Part 2 28-Jan-16 2.89
3 Blood Ties 4-Feb-16 2.32
4 White Knights 7-Feb-16 2.39
5 Fail-Safe 18-Feb-16 2.25
6 Star City 2046 25-Feb-16 2.47
7 Marooned 3-Mar-16 2.28
8 Night of the Hawk 10-Mar-16 2.01
9 Left Behind 31-Mar-16 1.97
10 Progeny 7-Apr-16 1.88
11 The Magnificent Eight 12-Apr-16 1.98
12 Last Refuge 21-Apr-16 1.78
13 Leviathan 28-Apr-16 1.86
14 River of Time 5-May-16 1.63
15 Destiny 12-May-16 1.89
16 Legendary 19-May-16 1.85
- What was the overall theme for this episode / What was the link to the ep. name
- “Fail-safe” (Chris start us off)
- Link to Sara as a contingency plan, or “fail-safe” in case things went sideways
- Name of a cold-war nuclear thriller (see easter eggs)
- I was trying to find some way to link Fail Safe into the fact that Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell and Arthur Darvill all went shirtless, breaking a new Berlantiverse record :P
- Fight scenes & Stunts: Share your thoughts (Michelle first then Neil)
- Sara takes out 6 guys; Rip and Snart can’t take out 1
- Team fight in prison yard
- Time Travel: Share your thoughts (Neil then Chris)
- Still in 1986 USSR
- And what the 80’s mean is that the Russians are allowed to be the badguys
- At end – crash in 2046 Star City
- Key component is watching the timeline: The probability of the United States losing the Cold War has risen to 99%. Star City, the seat of the resistance, is predicted to fall in 2003.
- Sara’s knowledge of the Bratva via Ollie allows her to know who to contact in the current time.
- Intro scene – for a second I thought it was either timetravel or a flashback, but only for a split second… then I was like “Hey… waaiiiiit a second”
- Rip Hunter
- Captaining skills this episode, scale of 1-10
- Still learning how to be a captain
- Needs Kendra and Jackson to convince him to join fight
- Ray Palmer
- Mr. Nice Guy in prison – doesn’t work
- Takes a beating for Mick
- Good time to make a reference to the “your mom” joke, and make draw a parallel to the recurring “Stephen’s Mom” jokes in the GonnaGeek Official podcast – lol
- Sara Lance
- Doesn’t take the shot — humanity returning?
- Ninja throwing stars – sweet
- Kicks ass with the bratva
- Hawkgirl – Kendra Saunders
- Reminds Jackson of two-way communication w/Stein
- Comes up with plan to help team
- Did she mention being a barista in this episode?
- Captain Cold – Leonard Snart
- Priorities – his crew first, then the plan
- Thinks it’s cold for Rip and Sara to possibly kill Stein – the whole “look him in the eye” speech.
- Heatwave – Mick Rory
- Risks Snart’s plan b/c Ray took beating for him
- Mick’s actions in this episode really define the relationship later on, even after the Chronos reveal
- Willing to die for the perfect score
- Professor Martin Stein
- With the probabilities of the timeline shifting, would he have caved?
- Smart enough to detect the “fake” reality at the start with the “Almost Cisco”
- Jefferson Jackson
- Cuts himself to communicate with Stein
- Runs on w/hurt knee
- Without his ability to appeal to Stein, who was inherently stronger than evil Russian Dr., the Russian Firestorm would have become a reality.
- Crashes in 2046 – but can still cloak
- Dr. Valentina Vostock
- Inspired by Stein’s speech about collapse of USSR
- Doesn’t listen to Stein about becoming Firestorm…goes boom!
- Did she really just go outside and start killing prisoners for no good reason?
- Guess we’re not getting the Negative Woman (Doom Patrol) or White Queen (head of Checkmate) from the DC cannon
EPISODE DC EASTER EGGS:
Season 1 Episode 5 “Fail-Safe” (Date: 18 Feb 2016)
- Fail-Safe: Movie about a cold War-era conflict and a President of the United States trying to recall a bomber
- Cisco Ramon: Guest appearance by Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon
- Beautiful Mind: Savage makes a reference about not hurting Stein’s “beautiful Mind”. Maybe a reference to the Russell Crowe movie.
- Wentworth Miller: “This isn’t my First Prison Break”:
- Bratva Reference: Has been mentioned in Arrow with Ollie’s Russian connections and tattoo
- Killing martin Stein – really a stretch – reference to a time travel trope.
- Yuri The Bear – Bratva agent isn’t a DC character, but is a children’s character.
- Shirtless hanging torture – this is a CW trope, including Arrow…
- Barry Allen Who? – Shout out to flash
- Vandal Savage “Vibes” – His sensing of Hawkgirl looks like how Cisco vibes
- Jax’ Drinking Age revisited – Kinda a reversal on the first episode
- Star City as the seat of the resistance in the future modeled with the Russian Firestorm – recurring thread in DC
- Partners? – Jax & Stein saying “partners” feels like Ollie & Barry
- Connor Hawke – Sneak peek at Star City 2046 hints at Connor from the comics.
- A “Long Absent” character from S.02 will be returning (Date: 24 June 2016)
The article goes over a few different choices – let’s run them down:
4. China White
6. Cyrus Gold (Back as Solomon Grundy?)
7. Anatoly Knyazev
- Curtis Holt will find a groove in Season 5 (Date: 27 June 2016)
“Essentially, if [Felicity] is software, he’s hardware,” Mericle said. “As he evolves into becoming Mr. Terrific in Season 5, one of the things we’re really exploring is differentiating them by having Curtis be more like Cisco on ‘The Flash.’
- Tyler Ritter joins the SCPD for Season 5 (Date: 28 June 2016)
Tyler Ritter is the son of late actor John Ritter, and has acted in guest roles on series including Modern Family, Grey’s Anatomy, and most recently on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and two NCIS series in a crossover. He top-lined The McCarthys on CBS, as well.
- Carly Pope (Tomorrow People, Suits) joins Arrow Season 5 (Date: 29 June 2016)
Joins the cast of Arrow in S.05 as Susan Williams. Williams is a journalist from Coast City, and in the comics is the wife of Jim Jordan, who is the younger brother of Hal Jordan, better known as Green Lantern. Pope will debut in episode three.
- Update on whether Kevin Smith will direct an Ep of Arrow (Date: 30 June 2016)
During a recent Facebook Live, Arrow star Stephen Amell was asked about the possibility of this unless things change, which they always can, and they already have, so please try to interpret that the best way you can.”
- Stephen Amell wants Roy Harper to return (Date: 30 June 2016)
In a recent chat on Facebook, Amell confessed that he’d like to see Roy Harper return to Arrow. On Facebook Live Stephen was asked by a fan, “Would you like to have Nightwing on the show?” Amell paused for only a moment, stumbling over his words slightly as he admitted, “You know, I feel like I’m good with Roy Harper. Let’s get Roy Harper back.”
GENERAL DC TV NEWS
- Interview with Caity Lotz; Sara might get a girlfriend in LoT S.2 (Date: 28 June 2016)
“I think Sara might get a new girlfriend!” Caity Lotz teased. She also said she hopes that Katrina Law, who plays Nyssa al Ghul can make a guest appearance despite her own new series. “She worked it in her deal so that she could come and see us!”
- New Justice League Action carton adds Green Arrow (Date: 27 June 2016)
On top of the trinity of Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman, the new cartoon poster features Green Arrow, Plastic Man, Firestorm and Space Cabbie?! (…yeah… Space Cabbie… WTF?)
- Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) joins the Flash as season regular (Date: 30 June 2016)
“The Flash” just got a touch more magical. “Harry Potter” star Tom Felton has joined the hit CW show as series regular character Julian Dorn, as a fellow CSI at the Central City Police Department who suspects there’s more to Barry Allen than just his good guy reputation.
GREEN ARROW COMICS & TOY NEWS
- More SDCC Exclusives – Arrow S.02 Paperweight from Icon (Date: 24 June 2016)
Hood and sleeves… just for Chris. Standing approximately 8 inches tall, cast in high-quality resin and expertly painted, this statue paperweight features the iconic costume Stephen Amell’s Oliver Queen wore in season 2
Promo for Next Week: Legends Of Tomorrow – “Star City 2046”
Episode: “Star City 2046” [Season 1 Episode 6]
Air Date: Thursday, February 25th, 2016
Summary: A malfunction sends the Waverider to 2046 Star City where the team faces a future in which they fail to stop Savage and return home… Old Man Ollie and the Goatee!!!
Director: Steve Shill
Writers: Marc Guggenheim & Ray Utarnachitt
If you missed us live catch us next time and chime in yourself! Plus you won’t miss out on our live post-show conversations.
Join The Starling Tribune each week as we stream live on Thursday nights at 9:00 PM eastern or 8:00 PM Central at gonnageek.com/live. Join the fun chatroom and interact with the hosts live. Contact us: @StarlingTribune – email@example.com – www.starlingtribune.com – www.facebook.com/starlingtribune – 612-888-CAVE or 612-888-2283.
You can find us on iTunes under ”Starling Tribune.” We are very thankful for all of our positive iTunes reviews. You can find all our contact information here on the Network page of GonnaGeek.com Our complete archive is always available at www.starlingtribune.com
This podcast was recorded Thursday June 30th, 2016.
Thank you for listening and we hope you enjoyed the show!