Starling Tribune – Season 5 Edition – Vigilante (A CW Network DCTV Arrow Television Show Fan Podcast)
The Official Arrow Podcast of the Gonna Geek Network
Episode: “Vigilante” [Season 5 Episode 7]
Air Date: Wednesday, Date November 16, 2016
Director: Gordon Verheul
2x Arrow | 2x Andromeda | 33x Arrow as Dir. Photography + 12 Smallville & 50 Andromeda
Writers: Ben Sokolowski
17x Arrow | 2x Flash
Emilio Ortega Aldrich
Episode # / Episode Title / Episode Air / Date / Rating
01 Legacy 5-Oct-16 1.89
02 The Recruits 12-Oct-16 1.94
03 A Matter Of Trust 19-Oct-16 1.79
04 Penance 26-Oct-16 1.87
05 Human Target 2-Nov-16 1.61
06 So It Begins 9-Nov-16 1.95
07 Vigilante 16-Nov-16 1.86
08 Invasion 30-Nov-16
09 What We Leave Behind 7-Dec-16
10 Who Are You TBD
11 Second Chances TBD
Part 1: The Plot, Themes and Characters
- What was the overall theme for this episode / What was the link to the ep. name
- Introducing the new baddie, Vigilante
- Questioning what it means to be a hero/vigilante/villain/psycho
- Is being a vigilante/hero doing the job?
- Introducing the new baddie, Vigilante
- Fight scenes & Stunts: Share your thoughts
- (Stealing from the Flashbacks) Fight with Kovar – Damn!!
- Ivan Drago baby
- Fight with the scary masked bank robbers
- Ragman with the bullet shield
- Diggle bringing the pain (transition to some diggle chat maybe re: training)
- (Stealing from the Flashbacks) Fight with Kovar – Damn!!
- Flashbacks: Share your thoughts
- Dinner with Kovar
- He is intrigued by Oliver
- Taiana’s mother works for him; children went missing a year ago, so he helped her out
- Made deal with Bratva
- “Questioned” Ollie for a week
- Fight with Ollie
- Is he doing enough? As Mayor? As Green Arrow?
- Been trying to be a hero for four years
- Scolds recruits – you can’t be angry at me being the killer as The Hood and like Vigilante
- Goes on a date with Susan Williams
- Cabin fever – getting antsy because in Arrowcave or Hive
- Missed JJ’s 2nd birthday
- Works out a lot….probably missing something else too (wink, wink)
- Bonding with Rene
- Helps Lance get the help he needs
- Realizes that Prometheus knows who Ollie is
- Uses “Mom” voice on team
- In the field to help with “robbery”
- Quentin Lance
- Resigns as Deputy Mayor
- Tells Thea about cut and throwing star
- Agrees to go to rehab
- Tries to conquer the salmon ladder, but doesn’t
- Makes odd jokes
- Tells Ollie to call him “Mr. Terrific” in the field
- Wild Dog
- Helps Diggle by arranging birthday party with son and Lyla
- Still calls Felicity “Blondie,” but is becoming more of a team player
- Practices archery
- Knows what the fighting sticks are
- Uses the fact that women can’t walk the streets without getting harassed to her advantage
- Mole for Prometheus
- One liners
- Team lines up in formation behind him to protect from bullets
- Helps Artemis question guy
- D.A. Adrian Chase
- Tells robbery suspect that he’s “been to hell”
- Knows where Dunn the bank robber is
- Likely Vigilante
- Susan Williams
- Knows a Russian journalist
- Plays pool to win
- Getting Ollie to like and trust her
- Tells Ollie that he should do things the right way even if it takes time
- Gregor made deal with Ollie
- Likely using Ollie
- Where’s Anatoly???
- OMG – that last scene! Knows Artemis
- Michelle’s List O’Suspects: (Being bold by eliminating some this week due to developments)
- Tommy Merlyn
- Robert Queen
- Adrian Chase (but more likely to become Vigilante)
- Billy Malone (he “heard on the street” that Prometheus was a threat to the Arrow; very eager to learn where Green Arrow lives)
- Helena Bertinelli (but I would rather see her as either Huntress or head of the Bertinelli family)
- Isabel Rochev
- Mckenna Hall
- Slade Wilson (being Deathstroke right away could give his plan away)
- Talia al Ghul (see this week’s news)
- New: Quentin Lance (likely a red herring) (in rehab)
- Roy (he’s been mentioned, he’s had access to arrows, and he might have seen The List)
- Viktor (SP’s add; he did see the list – shown in the season premiere)
CURRENT EPISODE DC EASTER EGGS & POP CULTURE REFERENCES
Season 5 Episode 6 “So It Begins” (Date: 10 Nov 2016)
- Vigilante – But we’ve done that at least once before — and we think twice, so at this point we think it’s pretty well-covered ground that Adrian Chase was in the comics a costumed antihero known as Vigilante before he eventually took his own life out of the remorse he felt for abandoning the rule of law he had sworn to uphold his entire adult life.
- The Torah – “Is that from the Torah?” Oliver asks Rory before the Moby-Dick metaphor starts. That’s a not-so-subtle nod to Ragman’s Jewish heritage, which has been mentioned before. It’s worth a note that Rory and Felicity’s Jewish heritage makes the current incarnation of Team Arrow probably the most diverse groups of superheroes ever assembled on TV, with Oliver being the only non-ethnic male on the team. It’s happened without much in the way of the fanfare and attention these things usually get, so it seems worth at least a mention.
- Channel 52 – Here, it’s Channel 52’s news story when Oliver is checking on Dunn.
- McGuire’s ? – It’s not clear whether McGuire’s (which could also be Maguire’s or McGwire’s) bar is actually meant to be a reference, but if it is, it’s likely to Bridget McGuire, who was an art director on Arrow’s first two seasons.
- ..IS THAT A ‘ROCKY IV’ REFERENCE? – Because it’s Dolph Lundgren playing a big Russian, we’re going to be looking for references to Rocky IV pretty much every week until we’re sure we’ve seen one. That said, wrapping his hands in gauze like you do before you put your boxing gloves on (yes, we know his hands were injured. Still!), and then having him unleash a hail of haymakers on Oliver carries a little bit of an Ivan Drago context to it, doesn’t it?
- John Jr. – This is the first time we’ve seen John Diggle, Jr. actually appear onscreen! He’s a cute kid. He also, if you remember, used to be Sara Diggle (named for the then-dead-now-better Sara Lance) before Barry Allen traveled back in time and changed history in the “Flashpoint” event.
- HUB CITY – “The Marshals are halfway to Hub City by now,” Lyla Michaels tells Diggle. Hub City, a fictional city in the DC Universe, is best known as the home to The Question, a self-taught urban shaman. While The Question didn’t appear when Oliver visited the city last year, mystic Esrin Fortuna seemed like she had a similar role (and since there was a female Question for a while, some fans on Twitter briefly wondered whether that could be what we were seeing unfold).
- Moby Dick is a novel written by Herman Melville in 1851. The narrator is Ishmael, and he recounts his time on the whaling ship Pequod under the command of Captain Ahab. Ahab recklessly pursues the white whale, Moby Dick, noted for destroying whaling ships. Ahab’s wooden leg is a result of an encounter with Moby Dick.
- SP’s add: Judge Balderama – Oscar Balderama. Show Writer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2421455/?ref_=nv_sr_1)
- Stephen Amell’s 3rd Annual F*ck Cancer Campaign (Date: 13 Nov 2016)
From the website: “Hello friends! It’s time once again to represent a cause that has turned into something bigger than any of us could have imagined. Get a shirt! Get a hoodie! Finally… Fuck Cancer”. — Stephen 100% of the proceeds go towards F*CK Cancer. T-shirt, hoodie, sweatshirt among the items available. Campaign ends November 25th.
- Stephen Amell attacked by Arrow fan (Date: 14 Nov 2016)
Stephen Amell put up on his Facebook page: Dude came up to me yesterday… Head Butts me hard. Outta nowhere… Then says — “I want to fight the Green Arrow.” Paused, looked at him… shook his hand and said no thank you. Because I’m a father and a husband. Pretty manly if you ask me.
- People’s Choice Awards (Date: 15 Nov 2016)
Stephen Amell is up for Favorite Social Media Celebrity and Arrow and The Flash have been nominated for Favorite Network SciFi/Fantasy Show. Voting ends Thursday, Dec. 15 at 11:59 PM, ET.
- NEW ARROWVERSE CROSSOVER PROMO OFFERS FIRST LOOK AT THE DOMINATORS (Date: 15 Nov 2016)
In a new promo for the upcoming crossover between “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl,” the Dominators rear their ugly heads. The video reveals a few glimpses of the “Arrow”-verse’s latest threat: yellow, mind-controlling aliens with needle-like teeth and large red spots on their foreheads. Eagle eyes will spot a glimpse of Deathstroke.
- All in the Family (Date: 18 Nov 2016)
Highlights from the article in Entertainment Weekly: The crossover story involves the Dominators, mind-controlling space invaders alarmed by Earth’s surging population of metahumans. 15 characters from the 4 shows will assemble in an aeronautics facility that’s part of STAR labs. This is when Barry Allen introduces Supergirl to the group. At first Diggle is not sure why Supergirl is special, but gets impressed when she hovers. Berlanti is not a fan of the shows being called the “Berlantiverse.” According to him, “There are just so many people that are also part of this. Plus, you never want anything named after you that people could be upset or angry about.” The creators like that the shows are steeped in genuine relationship drama and that they are about something. “These shows have to work on multiples levels,” says Berlanti, “You want them to be enjoyable. But if they’re not about something, why are you showing up to work every day and asking everybody to pour their heart and soul into a story if it’s only about the Flash fighting a villain of the week?” As for bumps in the road the shows have had? Berlanti says, “We certainly made errors along the way. But that’s been part of the fun, too.” Tidbits about each show after the crossover: Arrow – Prometheus should be unmasked soon. “Always in our midseason finales, we like to revisit the big bad,” hints Berlanti. The Flash – The annual Christmas episode is set to be tearful and will also flesh out villains Savitar and Dr. Alchemy. Legends: Captain Cold and Malcolm Merlyn join the Legion of Doom. Supergirl: A cliffhanger teases the introduction of a famous Superman-Supergirl baddie that has been referenced before.
- All In The Family: Inside DC’s Ultimate Superhero Crossover (Date: 10 Nov 2016)
See the stars of ‘Arrow,’ “The Flash,’ ‘DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,’ and ‘Supergirl’ get together. A slideshow of images from the EW article and stills from the crossover.
- The First Big Story Details For the CW/DC Crossover Event Are Here (Date: 16 Nov 2016)
Supergirl: After some Thanksgiving drama, the epic superhero crossover kicks off when Barry Allen and Cisco Ramon seek Kara’s help with an alien invasion on their Earth. The Flash: When aliens called the Dominators attack Central City, Barry speeds over to Star City to ask the Green Arrow for help in stopping them. Realizing the battle against the Dominators is bigger than they thought, they track down the Legends of Tomorrow, and Barry and Cisco create a breach to bring back a secret weapon – Supergirl. Once all of the super friends are assembled, they come up with a plan to attack but a shocking secret related to Flashpoint is revealed and suddenly no one is sure who they can trust. Arrow: The 100th episode – Oliver wakes up to a life where he never got on The Queen’s Gambit. Robert and Moira Queen are alive and well. Laurel is his loving fiancée and their wedding is imminent. Everything seems perfect, but Oliver starts to notice small imperfections that make him question this new reality. Meanwhile, Felicity and the recruits take on a new threat with help from The Flash and Supergirl. Legends: After learning the Dominators’ plan for the world, the Legends must work together with The Flash, Supergirl and Green Arrow to kill them once and for all. Meanwhile, Stein figures out, with the help of others, how the team can terminate the Dominators, but is distracted by the aberration he realizes he created in 1987.
- ‘Arrow’ Season 5: Dolph Lundgren On Konstantin Kovar Guest Arc (Date: 16 Nov 2016)
Lundgren told AccessHollywood.com more about his new role, what convinced him to join the show and about meeting “Arrow’s” Stephen Amell while the series star was in what sounds like his flashback sequences wig. When asked if he was having fun doing the show, Lundgren replied, “Yes, it has been a blast. It’s fun to play this character. I think he was well-written and I have a lot of fun with it, and the fact that I don’t really know where it’s going is interesting because I have to keep the character alive sort of within myself over quite a long period of [time]. … I know it’s going to be six months for sure because I’m doing some stuff in February. So yeah, that’s interesting. And yeah, it’s sort of endearing to have this Kovar fellow be there almost every day in my life too, to be ready for the next shot. So I’m enjoying it. I’m sure the future will be even better.”
GENERAL DC TV NEWS
- CW sets Riverdale premiere date; Supernatural, Legends of Tomorrow moving timeslots (Date: 16 Nov 2016)
DC’s Legends of Tomorrow will move to Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET starting Jan. 24. Legends of Tomorrow airs its season finale on March 28.
- The Flash in Vancouver’s Victory Square with Iris West & big bad Savitar? (Date: 10 Nov 2016)
Is that the god of motion Savitar in the motion capture suit? The Flash season 3’s Big Bad. Seen was the latest of a sequence with the Flash, Iris West and a mo-cap actor believed to be season Big Bad Savitar in the southwest corner of the park. The mo-cap actor is big next to the Flash.
- Savitar: The Flash’s newest speedster, explained (Date: 14 Nov 2016)
The series is bringing in the villainous Savitar for the current third season. Savitar was brought into the “Flash” comics way back in 1995’s “The Flash” (Vol. 2) #108 by writer Mark Waid and artist Oscar Jimenez. Savitar has the ability to transfer speed from one being to another. Thus, he’s able to power an entire army of ninjas with energy from the Speed Force, using them to steal speed from existing speedsters. We soon learn that Savitar is a self-proclaimed god who formed a Speed Force-obsessed cult for himself, developing a messiah complex along the way. Savitar got his powers amidst the Cold War as a fighter pilot that accidentally broke the sound barrier.
- Justice League Dark Trailer Released (Date: 15 Nov 2016)
The trailer is just under two minutes, but it packs in plenty of action. The footage shows the Justice League scrambling to end a global phenomena being caused by dark magic. When it comes to casting, Justice League Dark nabbed several big names from the DC Animated Universe. Jason O’Mara will voice Batman while Matt Ryan will play Constantine. Zatanna will be voiced by Camilla Luddington, Deadman by Nicholas Turturro, and Etrigan by Ray Chase. Rosario Dawson will play Wonder Woman, and Superman will be voiced by Jerry O’Connell. Justice League Dark is expected to hit DVD, Blu-ray, and Digital HD in early 2017.
- IS DC’S KOBRA DEBUTING IN THE CW’S SUPERHERO CROSSOVER? (Date: 15 Nov 2016)
In addition to the arrival of the pointy-eared antagonists, the teaser also included the first look at Citizen Steel’s helmet, the return of Deathstroke — and the first glimpse of a new, intimidating logo we haven’t seen before. Now, the question arises: who’s icon is that? In a recent report, it was revealed that the CW version of the Dominators utilize a form of mind control, a departure from their comic book counterparts. The logo seen in the trailer has us thinking, perhaps there’s another, longer-lasting reason the alien invaders will be employing this technique in their battle for Earth. In the comics, the Kobra Cult is a terrorist organization dedicated to controlling the world. In short, exactly the sort of group the Arrowverse loves to introduce as foils to its heroes, and one whose debut during a crossover of this magnitude could lay the seeds for multiple storylines across future seasons for every DC/CW show.
GREEN ARROW COMICS & TOY NEWS
- Green Arrow #11 – Murder on the Empire Express Pt.2 (Date: 16 Nov 2016)
* There’s no business like the war business, and business is booming-or it will be once the world learns of the brutal assassination of one of its most critical leaders at the hands of…Green Arrow?! [OK, actually Eddie Fryers] Trapped with a killer hundreds of feet below the ocean, Oliver, Black Canary and John Diggle must solve a murder before his undersea voyage ends-and with it, peace in our time.
* Written by Benjamin Percy, Pencils, Inks and Colours by Juan E. Ferreyra
Promo for Next Week: Episode – “Invasion!” (Date: 16 Nov 2016)
Episode: “Invasion!” [Season 5 Episode 8]
Air Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2016
Summary: ARROW CELEBRATES 100 EPISODES; THE EPIC SUPERHERO CROSSOVER CONTINUES — Oliver (Stephen Amell) wakes up to a life where he never got on The Queen’s Gambit. Robert (guest star Jamey Sheridan) and Moira Queen (guest star Susanna Thompson) are alive and well. Laurel (guest star Katie Cassidy) is his loving fiancée and their wedding is imminent. Everything seems perfect, but Oliver starts to notice small imperfections that make him question this new reality. Meanwhile, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and the recruits take on a new threat with help from The Flash (guest star Grant Gustin) and Supergirl (guest star Melissa Benoist). James Bamford directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti and written by Marc Guggenheim & Wendy Mericle (#508). Original airdate 11/30/2016.
Director: James Bamford
Writers: Marc Guggenheim, Wendy Mericle, Greg Berlanti (story by)
Join The Starling Tribune each week as we stream live on Thursday nights at 9:00 PM eastern or 8:00 PM Central at www.geeks.live. Join the fun chatroom and interact with the hosts live. Contact us: @StarlingTribune – email@example.com – www.starlingtribune.com – www.facebook.com/starlingtribune – 612-888-CAVE or 612-888-2283.
Starling Tribune is proud to be a member of the GonnaGeek network found at GonnaGeek.com. For more geeky podcast visit GonnaGeek.com.
You can find us on iTunes under ”Starling Tribune.” We are very thankful for all of our positive iTunes reviews. You can find all our contact information here on the Network page of GonnaGeek.com Our complete archive is always available at www.starlingtribune.com
This podcast was recorded Thursday November 17th, 2016.
Thank you for listening and we hope you enjoyed the show!
Audio & Video Production by Stargate Pioneer of GonnaGeek.com.
Tags: Arrow, CW, Flarrowverse, GonnaGeek Network - TV Based Podcasts