Starling Tribune – Season 5 Edition – Human Target (A CW Network Arrow Television Show Fan Podcast)
The Official Arrow Podcast of the Gonna Geek Network
Episode: “Human Target” [Season 5 Episode 5]
Air Date: Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Director: Laura Belsey
2x Arrow | 1x Stitchers | 1x Unforgettable
Writers: Oscar Balderrama
8x Arrow | 1x Drop Dead Diva | 2x Eli Stone
6x Vixen | 2x Arrow
Episode # / Episode Title / Episode Air / Date / Rating
01 Legacy 5-Oct-16 1.89
02 The Recruits 12-Oct-16 1.94
03 A Matter Of Trust 19-Oct-16 1.79
04 Penance 26-Oct-16 1.87
05 Human Target 2-Nov-16 1.61
06 So It Begins 9-Nov-16
07 Vigilante 16-Nov-16
08 Invasion 30-Nov-16
09 What We Leave Behind 7-Dec-16
10 Who Are You TBD
11 Second Chances TBD
Part 1: The Plot, Themes and Characters
- What was the overall theme for this episode / What was the link to the ep. name
- People as targets
- Oliver as mayor by Church
- Arrow by Prometheus
- Rene target for rescue and of Diggle’s Jedi efforts
- Chance is called the Human Target
- Fight scenes & Stunts: Share your thoughts
- Arrow, Spartan, and “the JV squad” at the airport
- Ollie shoots Church in the shoulder, but doesn’t kill him
- Wild Dog gets to fight Church again
- Flashbacks: Share your thoughts
- Ollie accepted into Bratva
- Viktor is not a fan of this “outsider”
- Only Bratva; no name, no other family
- Does work as mayor
- Chance is a better a mayor than Ollie (gets rezoning thing passed)
- Tells Felicity he wants her to be happy
- Admits to Chance that he feels Oliver Queen is not his better half; Chance tells him “Nobody moves forward in life when they’re hiding behind a mask” – this echoes Diggle in episode telling Rene they need to move forward and previous episodes – moving forward seems to be a theme this season
- Diggle-wan Kenobi
- Helps Wild Dog
- Strong as Spartan
- Sees being Spartan as a path of redemption
- On entering the Arrowcave – “Wow, this place just got really crowded”
- Not too impressed with the recruits
- Didn’t tell Oliver about Billy
- Is annoyed people still ask her if she can track someone/something
- Quippy lines still great; but not as impactful
- Quentin Lance
- Gets to be mayor for 5 minutes
- Not doing too well after being stabbed
- How does he get his hair like that so quick?
- Wild Dog
- Gets stabbed and beaten and goes out to fight a few hours later
- His intel leads to bringing down Church
- Crushing on Spartan
- Gets to shoot an arrow
- Likes to comment on liar entrances (“Do people just just walk into your secret base of operations”)
- Takes bullets
- Tobias Church
- Has a good plan to kill the Mayor
- Tells Prometheus intel before getting freed – dumb move
- Killed by Prometheus – gone too soon
- Who was his “freak”? – He’s dead now, so do we care?
- Gave Church 2 warnings (who does that?)
- Killed a bunch of cops to get to Church
- Michelle’s List O’Suspects:
- Tommy Merlyn
- Robert Queen
- Adrian Chase (but more likely to become Vigilante)
- Billy Malone (he “heard on the street” that Prometheus was a threat to the Arrow)
- Helena Bertinelli (but I would rather see her as either Huntress or head of the Bertinelli family)
- Isabel Rochev
- Mckenna Hall
- Slade Wilson (being Deathstroke right away could give his plan away)
- Talia al Ghul (see this week’s news)
- Anatoly needed Chance to protect Ollie
- Needs to deal with Viktor
- D.A. Adrian Chase
CURRENT EPISODE DC EASTER EGGS & POP CULTURE REFERENCES
- Hub City and Bludhaven referenced again
- Get your first look at Dolph Lundgren as the villainous Konstantin Kovar in these new Arrow promo stills (Date: 03 Nov 2016)
Next week on The CW’s Arrow, Oliver Queen finally comes face-to-face with Russian baddie Konstantin Kovar, who will be played by guest-star Dolph Lundgren. Here we have some new promo pics from the episode, and from the looks of things Ollie is going to find himself at Kovar’s mercy. Link:https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/arrow/get-your-first-look-at-dolph-lundgren-as-the-villainous-konstantin-a146514
- Arrow: Diggle will confront Flash about the consequences of Flashpoint (Date: 28 Oct 2016)
As to whether or not Digg will confront Barry over the fact, Ramsey added, “Yes. The eighth episode [of ‘Arrow’] is going to have a lot of big things coming out of it, and that’s going to be one of them. Yes.” Ramsey also weighed in how Digg will react to the idea of an alien invasion, which will take place over the course of The CW’s four-show crossover this fall. “How is he going to react to seeing a woman fly across the horizon in a skirt? That’s an even better question!” he shared. “All of this flips Digg out, but I think he’s slowly getting a grip that this is the world that he now lives in and that’s part of his journey as well this season.”
- Arrow: Amell calls Oliver’s vigilantism ‘A last resort’ (Date: 28 Oct 2016)
Asked what he thought of Oliver’s enduring legacy as Green Arrow, Amell told CBR, “He’s very tough on [the new recruits], but then — in private moments, speaking with people he holds in close confidence — he sort of extols their virtues. So I think that he’s proud, but again, being a vigilante (and I think that he would agree with this) is the last resort, not the first resort. In a perfect world, Star City wouldn’t need a Green Arrow. So I think that the proliferation of them, while heartening in some sense and encouraging, is also a reminder that he hasn’t gotten the job done.” As to whether or not this job could ever truly be done, he added, “Of course! When the show is done, he’ll have gotten the job done.”
- Mericle calls Arrow’s 100th episode a ‘Love letter to the show’ (Date: 28 Oct 2016)
Wendy Mericle spoke to CBR about finding a balance between “Arrow’s” legacy and the crossover event, the future of the show, Green Lantern Easter eggs, female super-villains and more. About the 100th episode, she said, “It’s the 100th and we wanted it to be very nostalgic and very much about the DNA of “Arrow,” of the show when it started. We feel really lucky. We found a way to balance the fact that we do now live in a world where there are metas and there are aliens. Greg Berlanti came up with this brilliant way of accomplishing that and making it very much a love letter to the fans and to the show.”
- Arrow: Lance & Thea will develop a father/daughter dynamic (Date: 29 Oct 2016)
At the celebration of “Arrow’s” 100th episode, Paul Blackthorne — who plays Quentin — told CBR that Thea’s offer of help will lead the two to develop a father/daughter relationship as the season moves forward. He said, “We both felt the characters wouldn’t realize that was happening for quite a long time. It’s not like, ‘Oh, she feels like my daughter!’ It’s quite unspoken, but of course it does certainly feel like that. It’s like, ‘I recognize this feeling, but it’s with somebody else.’ It’s been interesting playing on that dynamic with her.”
- Is Arrow EP Marc Guggenheim teasing The Question appearance? (Date: 01 Nov 2016)
Instead of Question coming to Star City, it looks like Team Arrow might be heading to Hub City instead.“Headed out of town…” he wrote. The caption was attached to an image advertising Hub City’s premium development potential. At the bottom right-hand corner of the advert, fans can see that the advert is associated with Arrow’s eleventh episode this season. Currently, fans have not been told what title the episode will carry, but fans are now wondering if it will have anything to do with the Question.
- ‘The Walking Dead’ actress Juliana Harkavy joining ‘Arrow’ (Date: 01 Nov 2016)
Juliana Harkavy (“The Walking Dead,” “Constantine”) is joining CW’s “Arrow.” Harkavy will have a recurring role as Tina Boland, a detective formerly of Central City. Boland is brash yet tactful, tough, speaks her mind, and is not the easiest person to impress. She also has a problem with vigilantes.Harkavy’s character will join in the back half of the season.
- ‘Arrow’ casts Lexa Doig as Talia al Ghul (Date: 02 Nov 2016)
Lexa Doig (“V,” “Stargate SG-1,” “Continuum”) has been cast in a recurring role as Talia al Ghul, Variety has learned. Talia is the daughter of Ra’s — who was the main villain in “Arrow’s” third season, played by Matt Nable — and the half-sister of Nyssa al Ghul, who’s played by Katrina Law. Talia, like Nyssa, is an elite warrior, excelling in multiple different forms of combat. Unlike her sister though, she refuses to pick sides and instead creates her own. Doig’s first appearance as Talia will be in the tenth episode of Season 5.
- Superhero TV maven Greg Berlanti says Arrow has as much hope and optimism as other DC shows (Date: 02 Nov 2016)
Arrow has never shied away from gritty violence, consequences, and other storytelling tools that often feel out of place in the technicolor world of many superhero adaptations. “In some ways, there can be some episodes of Arrow that can be just as optimistic in their own way, especially given the perils that they’re up against,” Berlanti told ComicBook.com during a recent event celebrating the hundredth episode of Arrow. “It’s definitely a darker-toned show in a lot of regards, but it’s always the relationships and those are just as emotional and deep and fun.”
DC TV NEWS
- Arrow, Flash, and OUAT actors star in new Jeff Cassidy short film Sidekick (Date: 28 Oct 2016)
Arrow star Emily Bett Rickards, Flash star Tom Cavanagh, Once Upon A Time star Josh Dallas and Wayward Pine’s Christian Michael Cooper star in this new short film Sidekick by Jeff Cassidy.
- Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, Legends stars tease epic crossover (Date: 29 Oct 2016)
EW’s Natalie Abrams moderated a superpowered panel featuring Supergirl’s Melissa Benoist, Arrow’s Stephen Amell, The Flash’s Grant Gustin, Legends of Tomorrow’s Caity Lotz, and the mastermind behind them all, superproducer Greg Berlanti. The fivesome talked about their own respective shows as well as the Berlanti-verse’s upcoming four-way crossover, titled Invasion, which will see the heroes work together to take on the Dominators.
- DC comics TV series generate $1 billion a year in revenue (Date: 03 Nov 2016)
In an earnings conference call on Wednesday, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes revealed the DC TV series generate a combined $1 billion in revenue annually for the media giant.
- Tuesday night ratings war: Flash hits new low, still beats Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Date: 02 Nov 2016)
The early ratings for Tuesday are out, and if the numbers hold steady, CW’s The Flash will have hit an all-time low with 2.71 million viewers and a .9 rating in the 18-49 demographic, coveted by advertisers for its purchasing power. That’s still better than the once mighty Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., however, which seems to have settled into a .8 rating with 2.52 million viewers, even despite the recent addition of Ghost Rider.
Promo for Next Week’s: Episode – “So It Begins ” (Date: 02 Nov 2016)
Episode: “So It Begins” [Season 5 Episode 6]
Air Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2016
Summary: When Prometheus ups his killing spree, Oliver (Stephen Amell) searches for connections between the victims. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Curtis (Echo Kellum) discover the victims have a mysterious link to Oliver’s past and this new secret could upend his new team. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) has a heart-to-heart with Lance (Paul Blackthorne), and Felicity considers telling Malone (guest star Tyler Ritter) the truth about her work.
Director: John Behring
Writers: Wendy Mericle and Brian Ford Sullivan
Join The Starling Tribune each week as we stream live on Thursday nights at 9:00 PM eastern or 8:00 PM Central at www.geeks.live. Join the fun chatroom and interact with the hosts live. Contact us: @StarlingTribune – firstname.lastname@example.org – www.starlingtribune.com – www.facebook.com/starlingtribune – 612-888-CAVE or 612-888-2283.
Starling Tribune is proud to be a member of the GonnaGeek network found at GonnaGeek.com. For more geeky podcast visit GonnaGeek.com.
You can find us on iTunes under ”Starling Tribune.” We are very thankful for all of our positive iTunes reviews. You can find all our contact information here on the Network page of GonnaGeek.com Our complete archive is always available at www.starlingtribune.com
This podcast was recorded Thursday November 3rd, 2016.
Thank you for listening and we hope you enjoyed the show!
Audio Production by Stargate Pioneer of GonnaGeek.com.
Tags: Arrow, CW, Flarrowverse, GonnaGeek Network - TV Based Podcasts