The Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Lauren, Consultant Chris, Producer of the show Director SP discuss the Disney+ What If…? season one episode “What If…Ultron Won?” the weekly Marvel news and listener feedback. The Team debriefs you International Podcasting Day, that EPIC multiverse beat down fight, a diversion into the series music composer, The Watcher’s prominent role in the episode, the Clint and Natasha glow in the dark post-apocalyptic glow in the dark adventure, why exactly was Zola effective against Zola in theory, we ask you to tell us who was Steve Roger’s Vice Presidential running mate, the unique nature of the Ultron voice actor, Supreme Strange’s demand, if Tony Stark’s death is a Nexus point in the multiverse, why Vision didn’t take care of Thanos like he did in the Ultron did, at least SOME of the Russian Language Easter Eggs, Black Widow’s family heirloom, a HUGE Disney family multiverse Easter Egg, what the What If MCU continuity had limited the series to, speculation on how the What If moment came to pass, some comments on the Disney character copyright lawsuits, and Chris talks Marvel versus Capcom 2. Stay tuned after the credits for a few minutes of Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. bonus audio.
THIS TIME ON LEGENDS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.:
- What If…Ultron Won?
- From the Disney+ Marvel series What If (S1E8)
- Weekly Marvel News
- Admissions about What If from the series showrunner A.C. Bradley herself
- The new plan for Disney+’s Ms Marvel series
- The Hit or Miss philosophy of future Marvel Studios related projects
- And Disney’s is suing people again over Marvel issues
- Plus an update on that Agent Carter
- Your Feedback
WHAT IF…? “WHAT IF … ULTRON WON?” [3:51]
S1E8 “What If … Ultron Won?”
- “What If … Ultron Won?” premiered on Disney+ on Wednesday September 29th, 2021.
Series Directed By: Bryan Andrews
3 directing credits starting 1999
3x Men In Black: The Series
5x Jackie Chan Adventures
8x What If
Also a Storyboard Artist with 41 credit
And a Writer with 9 total credits
Story Editor: Mathew Chauncy
2 Writer Credits starting in 2018
16x 3Below: Tales Of Arcadia
9x What If…? (Story Editor for all episodes but Written by for 5)
Executive Producer: A.C. Bradley (Creator, Head Writer and Showrunner)
5 writing credits starting 2005
28x Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia
38x 3Below: Tales of Arcadia
9x What If
Music Laura Karpman
139 Composing Credits starting in 1989
Winner of Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Music Composition for a Documentary Series or Special (Original Dramatic Score) – Why We Hate (2019) Episode: “Why We Hate: Tools & Tactics (2019)
HBO series Lovecraft Country (TV Series) 2020
Craft in America (TV Series documentary) (18 episodes) 2013
L.A.’s Finest (TV Series) (13 episodes) 2019
- Jeffrey Wright … The Watcher (voice) 9 episodes
- The Hunger Games
- Casino Royale
- Quantum Of Solace
- Jeremy Renner … Clint Barton / Hawkeye (voice)
- 28 Weeks Later
- The Hurt Locker
- Lake Bell … Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
- Boston Legal
- It’s Complicated
- No Strings Attached
- Harley Quinn (TV Series) Poison Ivy
- In a Word…
- No Escape
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Vanesssa Fisk)
- The Secret Life of Pets 2
- Toby Jones … Arnim Zola (voice)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Your Highness
- The Adventures of Tintin
- The Hunger Games
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2
- Atomic Blonde
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (TV Series)
- Ross Marquand … Ultron (Played Johann Schmidt in Captain Carter episode)
- Mad Men (Paul Newman)
- Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars (2014) … Han Solo (voice)
- The Walking Dead (Aaron)
- Family Guy (TV Series)
- Blockbuster (TV Series)
- American Dad! (TV Series)
- Robot Chicken (TV Series short)
- Invincible (TV Series)
- As an aside:
- Avengers: Infinity War – Red Skull (Stonekeeper)
- Avengers: Endgame – Red Skull (Stonekeeper)
- Avengers: Damage Control (Video Game) – Ultron (voice)
- Josh Keaton … Steve Rogers / Captain America
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (TV Series)
- Boy Meets World (TV Series)
- Hercules (1997) Young Hercules (voice)
- Green Lantern: The Animated Series (TV Series)
- Voltron: Legendary Defender (TV Series)
- Enough Video Game and Animation Voice Over titles to cover the state of Texas
- Mick Wingert … Tony Stark / Iron Man
- The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (TV Series)
- Kung Fu Panda 3
- Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness (TV Series)
- Kung Fu Panda (TV Series)
- Voltron: Legendary Defender (TV Series)
- Attack on Titan (TV Series)
- Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny (TV Series)
- Alexandra Daniels … Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel
- Mothers and Daughters
- Benedict Cumberbatch … Doctor Stephen Strange
- War Horse
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
- The Imitation Game
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
- Zoolander 2
- The Grinch
TOP NEWS STORY OF THE WEEK
- Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is scheduled to premiere on September 3rd, 2021.
- Eternals is scheduled to premiere on November 5th, 2021.
- Disney+ Day on November 12th, 2021 including streaming premiere for Shang-Chi
- Hawkeye is scheduled to premiere on November 24th, 2021. There will be 6 episodes … I think.
- Spider-Man: No Way Home is scheduled to premiere on December 17th, 2021.
- Ms Marvel is supposed to premiere late in 2021 on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Moon Knight is supposed to premiere late in 2022 on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- She-Hulk is supposed to premiere late in 2022 on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Mar 25th 2022?)
- Secret Invasion is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Ironheart is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Thor: Love and Thunder (May 6th, 2022)
- Armor Wars is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (July 8th, 2022)
- Echo is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- An untitled Wakanda series is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- The Marvels (November 11th, 2022)
- Also, we know there will be a Loki season two at some point.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (February 17th, 2023)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5th, 2023)
- Fantastic Four (???)
- I Am Groot is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced. I’ve heard this will be a holiday special.
- Untitled (February 16th, 2024)
- Untitled (May 3rd, 2024)
- Untitled (July 26th, 2024)
- Untitled (November 8th, 2024)
- List of MCU films in production without premiere dates
- Fantastic Four
- Deadpool 3
- Avengers-Level Team up to end the phase (not confirmed in development)
- Could be linked to Russo Brothers story from last week
- Captain America Sequel
- Possible X-Men
- Projects that have NOT been announced yet
- Young Avengers
MCU – MARVEL STUDIOS
Marvel Suing to Keep Rights to ‘Avengers’ Characters From Copyright Termination
Disney’s Marvel unit is suing to hold on to full control of Avengers characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon, Thor and others.
The complaints, which The Hollywood Reporter has obtained, come against the heirs of some late comic book geniuses including Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and Gene Colan. The suits seek declaratory relief that these blockbuster characters are ineligible for copyright termination as works made for hire. If Marvel loses, Disney would have to share ownership of characters worth billions.
Marvel Studios Has Over 30 Projects in Active Development
When veteran Marvel Studios producer Victoria Alonso was asked by 221radio if the company had 35 projects in the works, Alonso laughingly replied, “We are currently working on 31 projects, don’t add 4 more, please.” If that sounds like a lot to take on at once, Alonso agrees. Yet, the producer went on to assure fans that the studio is prepared for some hit-or-miss projects so long as they stay true to the human characters and interconnectedness of the MCU.
“It is a question about how are we handling multiple plates in the air at the same time,” Alonso continued, “and the biggest thing is that sometimes the plates fall, and, you know, what are you going to do then? We want people to understand that the idea that we have, to tell these connected stories, it is important that the world knows that the characters we create, their stories have to do with how humans interact with each other.”
Marvel’s What If…? team reveals season 1 finale intel: There’s ‘a bigger plan’
AC Bradley Admits … We kill Tony a LOT
Season 1 was originally meant to be 10 episodes, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic one of those episodes had to be pushed to season 2, and Bradley says the delayed episode helped balance the other, darker stories. “Our 10th episode was a more light, upbeat Tony Stark episode,” she says. “I noticed on Twitter we’re getting a lot of crap for killing Tony a lot. He has become the Kenny of the What If…? universe by accident.”
The episodes have mirrored the comics by ending on cliffhangers that each tease a larger story. And it seems that all of those threads may actually come together in the season’s final episode. It’s also possible that the already announced second season could follow up on certain stories, while new methods of remotely making animated series may help the show to avoid the issues the pandemic has posed and craft longer episodes. For now, however, the show does still have one limit: the MCU.
What If…? Episodes Are Shorter than Planned Because of COVID
“What If…? comics ended abruptly and really dark to prove that the main timeline is the better timeline,” Bradley said. “We’ve used that as our reason to cut stories off a little bit shorter. All these episodes could have been 45 minutes. Some of the animatics were 35 minutes, but due to animation and Covid, we cut them a little bit shorter than we would have liked.”
Disney+ Pushes Ms. Marvel to 2022
Variety Senior Entertainment Writer Adam B. Vary recently posted an update regarding the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s release schedule. “I’ve confirmed what was obvious to most Marvel Studios observers: [Ms. Marvel] has moved from a late 2021 release on Disney Plus to 2022,” Vary tweeted.
This is not the first report indicating Ms. Marvel’s debut shift. TVLine’s Matt Webb Mitovich previously suggested the series had been delayed until early a 2022 delay. Film insider Amit Chaudhari recently stated that the series was set to hit Disney+ in February.
Disney+ Removes Hayley Atwell’s Agent Carter Short Film
Marvel Studios’ Agent Carter One-Shot was completely removed from Disney+, seemingly across all territories.
In mid-September 2021, Marvel Studios’ Agent Carter One-Shot was added to Disney+ within its own special section/page . Beforehand, the short could only be found in Iron Man 3 ‘s EXTRAS section; Agent Carter has been removed there as well.
There doesn’t seem to be any clear indication as to why Disney+ would remove a section solely dedicated to the Agent Carter One-Shot.
The One-Shot originally appeared on the 2013 DVD and digital release of Iron Man 3 and gave some brief insight into how Peggy eventually started up what viewers knew as SHIELD. From there, the Agent Carter ABC show was also born, spanning two seasons on the television network .
On its own, the One-Shot exemplifies the brilliance of Atwell’s character; it reminds viewers of why she is now a returning force to the franchise and re-emphasizes her importance to MCU lore as a whole .
It’s possible that its removal could have been nothing more than in preparation for bigger and better things to come for Peggy; maybe the streaming service pulled the gun and wants to highlight her more so down the line, possibly aligning with the Season 1 finale of What If…? .
This campaign to bring back Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was started by Maximilian Dood, a YouTuber whose content revolves around fighting games. He started the campaign earlier this year under “#FREEMVC2” in order to gather support to hopefully re-release the crossover game onto modern systems. This caught the attention of Digital Eclipse, a studio that has worked with both Disney and Capcom to remaster some of its old games. Studio head Mike Mika showed his support for re-releasing the game, along with giving the game a proper remaster treatment. In a recent interview with Shacknews, Mika brings further thoughts to the table regarding how this re-release could be possible.
Describe this week’s @whatifofficial episode “What If…Thor Were An Only Child?” in one word. Go.
@Marvel @disneyplus @TheAshBradley
Dr. Gnome to you
Dr. Gnome to you
Dr. Gnome to you @MrParacletes
Just now learned these existed.
Dr. Gnome to you @MrParacletes
Yay or Nay??
Eric Goldman @TheEricGoldman
More hype for Thor: The Dark World (Taylor’s Version) twitter.com/GeekTyrant/sta…
Beard Watch 2021 — 09/24/2021
Okay, this week’s What If… I think I’m officially over this series.
Beard Watch 2021 — 09/25/2021
Space-god frat boy holds intergalactic kegger does not make for a good story to me.
StargatePioneer — 09/25/2021
Overall the series is a light hearted campy ride that hits some weeks and misses in other episodes. Not to mention a few tragic stories along the way too. But I certainly would not take any of it too seriously. This week’s episode especially was meant more as a fun dalliance than any other with events that could only be told via a cartoon IMO.
But all this is from a guy who like The Phantom Menace, dislikes Empire Strikes Back and is often wrong. So I might just be drinking the cool aid.
Erasure (Too Lazy !!) — 09/26/2021
That’s on this was one of my favorite episodes too along with T’Challa Star Lord. And wow someone else who likes the Phantom Menace and Empire not so much Others do exist
TPM is one of my highest ranked SW films while ESB is one of my lowest.
Beard Watch 2021 — Today at 5:34 PM
Interesting finale. Probably the best ep of the series. Though it raises some questions about how.things should have gone during infinity war…
We would love to hear back from you! Call the voicemail line at 1-844-THE-BUS1 or 844-843-2871.
Join Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. next time as the hosts discuss the finale episode of What If…? You can listen in live when we record Thursday Evenings at 8:00 PM Eastern time at Geeks.live. Contact Info: Please see http://www.legendsofshield.com for all of our contact information or call our voicemail line at 1-844-THE-BUS1 or 844-843-2871
Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is a Proud Member Of The GonnaGeek Network (gonnageek.com).
This podcast was recorded on Thursday September 30th, 2021.
Standby for your S.H.I.E.L.D. debriefing —
Audio and Video Production by Stargate Pioneer of GonnaGeek.com.