The Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Producer of the show Director SP, Agent Lauren, Consultant Chris and Consultant Jason discuss the Disney+ What If…? season one episode “What If…Killmonger rescued Tony Stark?” The Team debriefs you National Play-Doh Day, their thoughts about the overly complex plans of Killmonger being a Xanatos Gambit, why Tony Stark appeared excessively compulsive, Pepper Potts and Shuri’s triumphant story arcs, the shining bright components of the episode, what’s been happening with The Watcher, the voice over casting rundown, how the 30 minute episodes are hampering story development, the possible direction the series is heading, speculation on which season one episodes might reappear in season two, Tony Stark’s What If series track record so far, SP’s episode nitpicks, guesses as to which MCU titles will premiere in 2024, and their reactions to the Disney+ series Hawkeye trailer. Stay tuned after the credits for a few minutes of Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. bonus audio.
THIS TIME ON LEGENDS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.:
- What If…Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?
- From the Disney+ Marvel series What If (S1E6)
- Weekly Marvel News
- Marvel Box Office Results and Future MCU Premier plans
- The new Hawkeye Disney+ series trailer
- And AC Bradley’s One Regret about the Doctor Strange What If episode
- Your Feedback
WHAT IF…? “WHAT IF … KILLMONGER RESCUED TONY STARK?” [5:37]
S1E5 “What If … Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?”
- “What If … Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?” premiered on Disney+ on Wednesday September 15th, 2021.
Series Directed By: Bryan Andrews
3 directing credits starting 1999
3x Men In Black: The Series
5x Jackie Chan Adventures
6x What If
Also a Storyboard Artist with 41 credit
And a Writer with 9 total credits
Story Editor/Writer: Mathew Chauncy
2 Writer Credits starting in 2018
16x 3Below: Tales Of Arcadia
9x What If…? (Story Editor – Written by for this episode)
Showrunner: A.C. Bradley
1 producing credit1 starting in 2021
9x What If
- Jeffrey Wright … The Watcher (voice) 9 episodes
- The Hunger Games
- Casino Royale
- Quantum Of Solace
- Michael B. Jordan … Killmonger
- The Wire (TV Series)
- Friday Night Lights (TV Series)
- Parenthood (TV Series)
- Fantastic Four (2015)
- Creed II
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Jon Favreau … Happy Hogan
- Batman Forever
- Friends (TV Series)
- Deep Impact
- The Replacements
- The Break-Up
- John Carter
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (TV Series)
- The Jungle Book
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- The Mandalorian (TV Series)
- Chadwick Boseman … Black Panther (4 episodes)
- Lincoln Heights
- Get On Up
- Angela Bassett … Queen Ramonda
- Kindergarten Cop
- Malcolm X
- Waiting to Exhale
- How Stella Got Her Groove Back
- & Mrs. Smith
- Meet the Robinsons
- ER (TV Series)
- Green Lantern
- Olympus Has Fallen
- London Has Fallen
- Mission: Impossible – Fallout
- American Horror Story (TV Series)
- 9-1-1 (TV Series)
- Danai Gurira … Okoye (1 episode)
- The Walking Dead
- Andy Serkis … Ulysses Klaue
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- 13 Going on 30
- King Kong
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- The Adventures of Tintin
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens
- War for the Planet of the Apes
- Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker
- Don Cheadle … Rhodey
- Boogie Nights
- Mission to Mars
- Fail Safe (TV Movie)
- Rush Hour 2
- Ocean’s Eleven
- Ocean’s Twelve
- Ocean’s Thirteen
- Space Jam: A New Legacy
- Black Monday (TV Series)
- Paul Bettany … Vision
- A Knight’s Tale
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
- A Beautiful Mind
- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
- The Da Vinci Code
- Margin Call
- Leslie Bibb … Christine Everhart
- Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
- Law Abiding Citizen
- John Kani … T’Chaka
- An African Dream
- The Ghost and the Darkness
- The Lion King (2019)
- Mick Wingert … Tony Stark / Iron Man
- The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (TV Series)
- Kung Fu Panda 3
- Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness (TV Series)
- Kung Fu Panda (TV Series)
- Voltron: Legendary Defender (TV Series)
- Attack on Titan (TV Series)
- Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny (TV Series)
- Kiff VandenHeuvel … Obadiah Stane
- *Note – Jeff Bridges currently recovering from COVID-19 and in Cancer Remission
- Star Trek Into Darkness (Additional Voices)
- The Last Ship (TV Series)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- This Is Us (TV Series)
- Star Wars: Squadrons (Video Game)
- Beth Hoyt … Pepper Potts
- Inside Amy Schumer (TV Series)
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (TV Series)
- Better Call Saul (TV Series)
- Mike McGill … General Ross
- Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol
- Ozioma Akagha … Shuri
- 2 Broke Girls (TV Series)
- Teen Titans Go! (TV Series) – Bumblebee
- Runaways (TV Series) – Tamar Darius Davis widow
Curiosity Daily podcast on The Ampersand
TOP NEWS STORY OF THE WEEK
- Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is scheduled to premiere on September 3rd, 2021.
- Eternals is scheduled to premiere on November 5th, 2021.
- Hawkeye is scheduled to premiere on November 24th, 2021. There will be 6 episodes … I think.
- Ms Marvel is supposed to premiere late in 2021 on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Spider-Man: No Way Home is scheduled to premiere on December 17th, 2021.
- Moon Knight is supposed to premiere late in 2022 on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- She-Hulk is supposed to premiere late in 2022 on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Mar 25th 2022?)
- Secret Invasion is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Ironheart is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- Thor: Love and Thunder (May 6th, 2022)
- Armor Wars is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- I Am Groot is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced. I’ve heard this will be a holiday special.
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (July 8th, 2022)
- Echo is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- An untitled Wakanda series is in development for release on Disney+ but no date has been announced.
- The Marvels (November 11th, 2022)
- Also, we know there will be a Loki season two at some point.
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (February 17th, 2023)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5th, 2023)
- Fantastic Four (???)
MCU – MARVEL STUDIOS
Box Office: ‘Shang-Chi’ Week 2
Marvel’s Shang-Chi Avoid Black Widow Drop In Second Weekend at the Box Office
Disney Releasing ‘Eternals,’ ‘Encanto’ Exclusively in Theaters
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings avoided the same box office collapse the Black Widow suffered in its second weekend at the box office. Shang-Chi earned a total of $34.7 million domestically according to Box Office Mojo in its second box office weekend falling only 54% from it’s premiere weekend. Shang-Chi has now earned $144.5M domestically and $259M worldwide. In comparison Black Widow fell 68% in its second box office weekend but benefited from a healthy $60M from Disney+ premiere sales in its premiere weekend.
Other Disney second-weekend drops have been varied, with “Jungle Cruise” shedding 55%, “Cruella” 49% and “Free Guy” 35%. Universal’s “F9,” another pandemic box office success, opened to $70 million in June and dropped 57% to $30.1 million in its second frame.
Pre-pandemic Marvel releases have traditionally held well in their second weekends: “Avengers: Endgame” declined by 59%, “Captain Marvel” by 56%, “Thor: Ragnarok” by 54%, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2″ by 56%, “Doctor Strange” by 50% and “Ant-Man” by 57%. “Black Panther” enjoyed the most slight second-weekend drop in 2018, with just 45% after opening to a massive $202 million over Presidents Day weekend.
The strength of Shang-Chi’s Labor Day weekend opening seems to have inspired Disney to commit to debuting its remaining theatrical releases exclusively in theaters for the rest of the year, including Marvel Studios’ Eternals. Disney announced that the rest of its domestic release slate for the year will honor a theatrical window ranging from a minimum of 30-45 days per film although the 30 day window only applies to Encanto according to the exclusive reported by Variety. The term “minimum” seems to point to the fact that Disney could extend that 30-45 day window should they prove to be hits and there is an audience to attend in person.
Marvel Announces Four Unknown Films Scheduled for 2024
Walt Disney Studios has updated its upcoming release schedule, which now includes four untitled Marvel films dated for 2024. These include newly announced films scheduled for February 16th, May 3rd, July 26th, and November 8th.
Marvel has previously announced all of its movies on the way through Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, scheduled for May 5, 2023. After Guardians, there are still three other untitled Marvel films planned for the year, however, the addition of four more unknown Marvel films in 2024 and their release dates is entirely new.
Possible films to fill those slots that are currently in development and without a known release schedule include
- Fantastic Four
- Deadpool 3
- Avengers-Level Team up to end the phase (not confirmed in development)
- Could be linked to Russo Brothers story from last week
- Captain America Sequel
- Possible X-Men
MCU – Non-Marvel Studios
Sony Won’t Send Any Major Blockbusters Directly to Streaming Platforms
Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra is insisting Spider-Man: Far From Home, Venom: Let There Be Carnage and other blockbusters will retain their theater exclusivity window and not go straight-to-streaming.
“There is a higher bar theatrically to get films into theaters so you will probably not see as many films going directly to theaters,” Vinciquerra said during a media conference. He conceded that some of Sony’s smaller films might not be viable for theatrical release in the current climate but promised, “We have about 12 to 15 major films a year distributed to theaters and will do the same going forward.”
Vinciquerra pointed out the rise in piracy rates since other studios decided to implement day-and-date streaming releases, labeling it “a big concern” moving forward. The executive noted that Sony is in a unique position as it does not have a streaming service of its own, instead acting as an “arms dealer” in the ongoing streaming wars, able to put its content up for auction. He was quick to clarify, “But you won’t see our major films go that way.”
Sony recently changed the name of its Spider-Man franchise from the Sony Universe of Marvel Characters to Sony’s Spider-Man Universe, suggesting it has larger plans for the web-slinger moving forward. With rumors hinting at a live-action Spider-Verse crossover, the upcoming Spider-Man: No Way Home could potentially bridge the gap between Sony’s animated and live-action Spider-Man franchises by incorporating Miles Morales.
Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye Official Trailer
What If…? Writer Regrets One Thing About Doctor Strange Episode
“When you’re writing animation, you’re writing so far into the future that you can’t think four years down the line. That Doctor Strange episode, I wrote in February of 2019. I think I should’ve called it a Nexus Point instead of an Absolute Point. The Loki scripts weren’t even written yet, so that animatic locked before Loki even finished their scripts because you’re always writing about two years ahead of animation. It’s kind of intense and insane.”
Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D./Agent Carter
Hayley Atwell to Voice Lara Croft in Netflix’s ‘Tomb Raider’ Anime Series
Hayley Atwell has been cast in Netflix and Legendary Television’s upcoming “Tomb Raider” anime series.
Atwell will voice the franchise hero, Lara Croft, in the new series based on Square Enix’s iconic game.
This upcoming series marks the character’s anime debut. The story will pick up after the events of the “Tomb Raider” video-game reboot trilogy, charting a new adventure (in new territory) for the globetrotting Lara Croft 25 years after her first game launched.
Atwell is best known for portraying Peggy Carter across the Marvel universe, in such films as “Captain America: The First Avenger,” “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Ant-Man” And “Avengers: Endgame,” as well as in her own TV series “Marvel’s Agent Carter.” Her other live-action credits include “Conviction,” “Criminal U.K.” and “Howards End” for TV and “Brideshead Revisited,” “The Duchess,” “Christopher Robin” and “Blinded by the Light” in film. Up next she can be seen in the highly-anticipated “Mission: Impossible 7” opposite Tom Cruise.
Rosario Dawson Books A Room In Disney’s ‘Haunted Mansion’ Movie
Rosario Dawson has been set to join LaKeith Stanfield and Tiffany Haddish in Haunted Mansion, Disney’s latest live-action film based on one of its theme park attractions. Justin Simien is directing a script from Katie Dippold, and the pic, which also recently added Owen Wilson to the cast, is now gearing up to begin shooting next month.
What is your favorite @whatifofficial episode so far?
Dr. Gnome to you
Replying to @LegendsofSHIELD and @whatifofficial
T’Challa Star Lord.
The Ant-Man appearance in What If… ZOMBIES!? very much reminded me of Nathan Fillion (and later Alan Tudyk) in Santa Clarita Diet.
Regarding Shuma-Gorath, I think the Dr. Strange episode was a more-or-less direct take on a run in the comics when Strange used dark magic to absorb the powers of other sorcerers & multiple demons, ultimately consuming Shuma-Gorath itself.
Sum up this weeks @whatifofficial episode “What If… Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?” in one word.
@LegendsofSHIELD and @whatifofficial
@LegendsofSHIELD and @whatifofficial
We would love to hear back from you! Call the voicemail line at 1-844-THE-BUS1 or 844-843-2871.
Join Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. next time as the hosts discuss the SEVENTH episode of What If…? You can listen in live when we record Thursday Evenings at 8:00 PM Eastern time at Geeks.live. Contact Info: Please see http://www.legendsofshield.com for all of our contact information or call our voicemail line at 1-844-THE-BUS1 or 844-843-2871
Legends Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Is a Proud Member Of The GonnaGeek Network (gonnageek.com).
This podcast was recorded on Thursday September 16th, 2021.
Standby for your S.H.I.E.L.D. debriefing —
Audio and Video Production by Stargate Pioneer of GonnaGeek.com.